Sunday, April 10, 2011

What is in a name? (long post)


(A good panty shot.)

I will admit that when naming Emily it was EASY. I always liked the name Emily. Even when Michael and I were dating or "going out," I told him if you don't like the name Emily I will Not marry you. He agreed he liked it! So fast forward to when I was pregnant with Emily weather she was a boy or girl it was Emily or Ryder. Now middle names Michael has a tattoo with a cross burning that says "faith." So we decide "Emily Faith" was a good name. It was a girl I can't remember the middle name for Ryder I think I wanted James or Joshua. Anyway that never happened anyway.
I always loved the name still do even with it being the most popular name for 10 years like 1999 to 2009. I will say there is not one Emily that I have met at Emily's school, Emmalise, Emma, Emmi but not Emily.

So fast forward to Ashley we had no idea, for her name. We knew Grace for middle name. We had a theme going. I really wanted a "A" name. I don't know why. We kept playing with names I got desperate I was like 7 months pregnant with no first name for this baby. We thought Abrielle I could not remember the name or really spell it. I had about 100 post it notes all over with names for Michael to look at. We could not agree on a name, Michael wanted Jessie or Kayla. We thought of Abigail (fathers joy) but we just were not sure. I really wanted Grace Michaela (pronounced Makayla.) But Michael was worried about our names and Michaela being too close and Emily feeling left out. So finally I was 8 months pregnant and Michael said Ashley or Ashlynn you pick. I choose Ashley for one reason easier to say for my grandma. Ask her to say Chloe it's awful. The neighbor girl asked me if we named Ashley after Ashley Tisdale from the high school musical movies I said "no, if anything after Ashley Olsen but your too young to know who that is." But not really Olsen twins not great role models these days. But that is another topic.

For the record until Chloe was born 22 months later I did not like Ashley name for her. I called Ashley, Grace quite often she will respond. But I now love her name for her now. We call her Smashly Simpson from (roller girl movie with the Juno girl and Drew Barrymore.) Totally fits her or Fantashly.

Now for Chloe, we always knew Ashley would be a girl. But with Chloe I was sick as a dog I kept telling Michael there better be a penis in there. No such luck but I should have known since we had a girl name all picked out not a boy name. I like Oliver for Chloe she would have been a cute Oliver. So we had Chloe Joy, all picked out. Michael through me a curve ball at the end of the pregnancy and said he did not like Joy, we both did not like Hope. So I thought Chloe Zyon, kind of the same theme-ish. I won't tell you what my mom said about Zyon. Jenny liked it. Needless to say Chloe left the hospital with no middle name. Michael said "lets Change her name to Abigail"..."um no the girls know Chloe not Abigail." I always loved Chloe. Dillion was mentioned we were off the path, I said "Love." Love worked, Michael's moms maiden name is Breedlove I love that name. So much better then Lindsey, but I have issue with three first names. So I said Love and Michael agreed so Chloe was home for like 3 days before she had a middle name.

So notice there is a Em-ily and a Ash-ley, and a Chlo-e NOT a y but same sound. What was I thinking?? I am always calling the kids the wrong name. But in my defense I wonder if they all had different names like Emily, Jessie and Abigail would I still call them different names? Michael and his brothers get called the wrong names all the time by there dad. Hmm? Joe, Jake, Mike!!

I was an only Child but my whole family on my dad's side all had "M" names serious, Marie, Marty, Mark, Michelle. So I still got called the wrong name by my grandparents. Later my dad had a son Marcus I know what was he thinking? There is a Mark and a Marcus my grandpa calls him Marcos. See its awful. That is another reason I think of now of why Ashley is not a Michaela. My dads best friend has two Michael's son's from different marriages and a daughter together name Michelle. (yes named after me.) Crazy huh?

I think of the duggers and 19 kids all with a J name and I don't here them mess up names. But maybe because I truly don't know all their names I don't realize when they do mess up.

So really the post is about calling the kids the wrong names I feel bad when I do it. I hope they forgive me one day. Naming your kids is truly one of the hardest things to do. Specially when you want them to like their name later in life too. My real name is Michelle Diane Martinez. I did not like Diane. I am now Michelle Martinez Lindsey. Sorry mom and dad. So if you hear me call Chloe, Ashley Emily...whatever your name is!! I guess as long as I leave the dog "Killer" out of it I will be okay.




Photobucket

No comments:

Post a Comment